A gentle whisper from the LORD...

"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:11-12

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thank You

"He took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to his disciples, saying,'This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me...This cup is the new covenant between God and his people - an agreement confirmed with my blood, which is poured out as a sacrifice for you.'" Luke 22:19-20

It was Saturday morning, September 11, 2010. Troy was working the weekend. The post was quiet and empty. Just a few patients to see and then he would be on his way home to be with his wife and kids. So you can imagine how strange it was to be in a line of traffic leaving the post. Each car ahead was slowly inching it's way through the Ft. Lewis exit toward the highway. But as he got closer, a beautiful sight came into view. The cars were backing up with active duty American soldiers in uniform, all heading out from work. Huge American flags, at least a dozen, were flown through the sky as a group of people from a nearby church desired to express a simple "thank you" for their service. As Troy's turn came up, he put down his window and tearfully accepted the appreciation. What an honor. What a humbling experience.

I wonder how many times we stop to say thank you to our Savior? I must admit that I spend a lot of time requesting things and expecting big answers to my prayers. But I don't take the time to express my thanksgiving nearly as often as I am indebted to do so.

As I watched this video, my heart broke with the simple fact that I just don't get it. I cannot and probably won't ever fully comprehend what happened that day when Jesus died. Although I hope and pray we never forget what happened on September 11 and I believe we should always show our appreciation to our American soldiers, I do, however, beg God to never let us forget what He did for us on Calvary. I may not ever understand it completely or fully feel what those watching felt that day, but I can say thank you! I pray my lack of understanding or comprehension will never stop me from appreciating the most beautiful grace ever shown in all of eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment