A gentle whisper from the LORD...

"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:11-12

Sunday, July 27, 2014

I AM...Everything I Am Not


In the seasons of my life, I have found myself under the authority of different people as you have experienced as well…a boss, an overseer.  No matter if my position was a paid worker or merely a volunteer, it was vital that I jump at the opportunity to serve alongside my authority with a common goal of serving others.  And at any given moment, if I was called out by name and chosen for a task, no matter how I felt inside, rather overwhelmed, inadequate or simply excited, I found myself obediently carrying out my duty, no questions asked.  And as my mama always taught me, talking back must never follow the summons. 
But how is it, when God Almighty, the Great I AM, calls me to be a part of his Kingdom work at a particular time and place, working alongside of God in order to serve others, I find myself throwing a temper tantrum on the floor, crying out to him, “Why, God?  Why?”  Or as my heart begs for an answer, I whine, “I want it THIS way!  Your way isn’t what I had planned!”  Why is it when the I AM says, “Go here” or “Stay put,” “Give up this” or “Go do that,” my two year old side bursts out into all directions?  How can I instantly trust another sinful person in our worldly work; yet, arrogantly argue with I AM over His eternal Kingdom work?
Ouch.  That hurts to admit to you.  But it’s the honest truth.  I’m an arrogant, prideful child of God.
God is the “I AM”…everything that “I am not.”
 And from this truth, God tells me

I AM your strength.

I AM your peace.

I AM your joy.

I AM your salvation.

I AM your protection.

I AM your God!

As I leave you a familiar truth from the great I AM, read it as though you’ve never heard it in your life; as if this is the first time these sacred words have touched your ears.  Let us not argue with God when he calls us in his plan but rather trust in His ways.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
Lean not on your own understandings.
In all your ways, acknowledge him,
And [I AM] will make your paths straight.”
Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment