A gentle whisper from the LORD...

"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:11-12

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Humble Confession

“If you love only those who love you, why should you get credit for that? Even sinners love those who love them! And if you do good only to those who do good to you, why should you get credit? Even sinners do that much!...You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate.” Luke 6:32-33, 36

I pulled my car up to a parking spot at Starbucks today as I was anticipating a much needed moment to myself. My eyes caught a glance at three people who were walking across the parking lot coming from the opposite direction and my first thought was judgment of how they were very different. And I hate to admit it but I actually dreaded going in because I knew they would be right in front of me in the line. By the looks of them, I wanted to steer clear of them and be alone.

Of course, as I entered the store, they were ordering and my position in line would be directly behind them. The group consisted of 2 females and 1 male probably in their early to mid twenties. According to my own description, I would characterize them as “awkward”. Their humor and conversation seemed a bit childish and, it’s sad to say, I kept my distance in line, not to be associated with them. The male made it very clear that he was treating everyone this day and no one was going to argue with him. As I continued to keep my eyes and head toward the opposite direction, I felt him glaring at me and could tell from my side vision, he was waving at me. To keep from his judgment on me, I smiled politely and looked the other way. Then, the unimaginable happened! Before he payed, he turned to me and speaking to Starbucks staff member, said, “And what she wants!” I instantly began to decline his offer to pay for my drink however he continued to insist. Even one of the females turned and said, “He’s being a good Samaritan today!” After refusing three times to let him pay, he crossed his arms, leaned back against the counter and stared at me with wide eyes, saying, “I’m not going anywhere until you order!”

So I ordered.

I got a free drink today from someone I sat in judgment of just moments before accepting this gift. I took one look at these people, made up in my mind that they were different and decided to have nothing to do with them. Oh, how it breaks my heart to say this!! In every area of my life, I wish I were more like Jesus. But if I had to pick one of my favorite things about Jesus it would be how he loved all people. And I’m not saying he was polite to everyone; he deeply loved every person He came into contact with. I love how his group of disciples ranged from a tax collector to fishermen. He ministered to the poorest of the poor and to high end religious and political leaders.

I hate to admit it but it’s easy to love people like ourselves. It’s easy to serve those who live like we do. It’s easy to have compassion on the pretty people.

Oh, God! Forgive me! Fill me with love, service and compassion for all Your people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment