A gentle whisper from the LORD...

"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:11-12

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Scared Of The Dark





God Whispers:




"If you make the Lord your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home. For he will order his angels to protect you wherever you go." Psalm 91:9-11






You would think at age 33 I would have overcome being scared of the dark. Would you believe that I still have night lights?! (Notice the plural form!) I keep them on in bathrooms, the hallway and even in the kitchen (just in case I need to get medicine for the kids in the night...like I did last night)! I also find myself moving rather quickly to bed after I have turned off the light in my room. But we'll just keep this between you and me! I wouldn't want the kids to know for they'll never outgrow it either!






Seriously, the night does bring on fears that seem different than what one might face in the day. They are more spiritual and I am fully aware of the spiritual warfare that goes on around us. I remember one night when Troy was in TX for six weeks of training, I became so frightened that I broke out in a sweat, felt completely paralyzed and I began to shake with fear. I cannot even tell you what I was actually afraid of at the moment. But with the strength of the Holy Spirit, I sat up, grabbed my Bible and began to read and pray aloud. Instantly, I began to feel a calm and peace in my heart and mind. As I began to calm down, the Lord gave me rest and soon it was morning.






There are many things we fear in this life. But when we make the Lord our God, He promises to watch over us. There are two phrases I love from these verses in Psalm 91. The first is "no evil will conquer you". We will face trouble and hard times but the evil from the spiritual warfare around us cannot and will not conquer us. God is the ultimate power and He is watching over us!






I also love the phrase "he will order his angels to protect you". He actually orders them on our behalf! And they are actually present! Sometimes I tend to picture the cartoon angel with the crooked halo floating around me not doing much of anything. But I know that they are real and they work for God! That gives me much peace.






The one common denominator that I have noticed in these times of fear is that the only thing that makes them go away is prayer. And sometimes those prayers are on my knees, pleading with God aloud. God is my refuge and my shelter. Fear comes from me but peace comes from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment