A gentle whisper from the LORD...

"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:11-12

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Weight Watchers and The Christian Life


God Whispers: "So let us not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a blessing if we don't give up." Galatians 6:9
In May, I decided to join Weight Watchers to get rid of the last of my baby weight...for my baby is 2 years old! It's only been a little over 2 months since I joined and although I have made some progress, it is going slower than I hoped. And since we've moved, it's been a roller coaster ride. But I am learning that the weeks I focus on every detail of my diet and record every crumb ingested, those are the weeks that I have a good weigh-in. When I say I can keep track in my mind and don't need to record everything, those are the weeks I gain!
I've also found that when I don't keep track, I lose motivation. Then I end up eating one more cookie, snatch one more bite of chocolate, drink one more coffee until I've ruined the week in just one day! However, if I do keep track, I have a desire to resist the temptation and keeping my eye on weigh-in day. My perspective changes.
It's a lot like our lives as Christians. We have so much sin that is very unhealthy and harmful to us. But we MUST keep going to God's Word. We must faithfully spend time in the Bible allowing the Holy Spirit to invade every aspect of our lives. When we stay in the Word, we are renewed and focused and empowered. But when we allow those times to slip away from us, believing we can do it on our own, sin seeps it's way back in and we are soon out of control.
So keep doing good! Get up early or take a break at lunch or stay up a few minutes later at night so God can change you, making your heart new and pure! We so desperately need to stay on track in order to reap a harvest! Keep the faith!!

No comments:

Post a Comment