A gentle whisper from the LORD...

"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:11-12

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Glorious Presence

After reading through the instructions the Lord gave to Moses about the Tabernacle and the duties of the priest, as well as the many preparations that must take place to meet with God (Exodus 25 – 30), my mind was blown away.  Frustration overwhelmed me for I could not grasp the fine details of this foreign lifestyle.  My heart was astounded by the differences of then and today.  There were even moments I found myself asking the Lord to forgive me for my mind would wander to my daily plans or wondering what the children were doing…distractions overcame.  
Many times as I read the Bible, lack of comprehension causes much frustration.  That was thousands of years ago and it seems as though nothing of today resembles the lifestyles of those times.  How am I to ever understand or fully comprehend what God was expecting of Moses, Aaron and the Israelites?  What is the meaning of all this in my personal life in the year 2011?
I pray with time and study, God will reveal more of His Word to me.  However, in this one moment, I came across two verses that God pulled out as if it were a three dimensional text.  “These burnt offerings are to be made each day from generation to generation.  Offer them in the Lord’s presence at the Tabernacle entrance; there I will meet with you and speak with you.  I will meet the people of Israel there, in the place made holy by my glorious presence.”  (Exodus 29:42-43)  The beautiful Holy Spirit highlighted three phrases: “each day”, “I will meet with you” and “speak with you”.  The offerings were to be sacrificed each day.  Not once a week.  Not when it’s convenient.  Not on special holidays.  But each day!  When we chose to sacrifice our time each day to be with him, He will meet with us.  Sitting alone in a quiet room, up on a mountain top, away at a retreat center, wherever… when we go to meet with Him, we are never by ourselves!  And then, not only will he meet with us, he will speak to us.  Did you fully comprehend that?!  God, the creator of the universe, God of all gods, King of all kings, speaks to us!!!  That truth should make us tremble and fall to our knees in humility and awe! 
Our “tabernacles” in 2011 look very different than what is described in the Old Testament.  Mine is an oversized, beige chair in the corner of my family room with a Bible, journal, computer and pens.  Not quite as spectacular as the holy house of God in Exodus.  However, God remains spectacular.  I praise Him for meeting with me and speaking to me in my humble setting.  Someday, we will have the presence of God in a way we cannot imagine or begin to describe.  Until then, may each of us continue to be with him daily and anticipate the day of his presence before our very eyes for eternity!   Oh Holy Spirit, be present every day and speak to our hearts, guiding us in every way!  Thank you, Lord Jesus.  Thank you!

Please share what God is teaching you and how he speaks to your heart!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment